What is Trauma?
Trauma can be defined as an emotional response resulting from experiencing or witnessing a single incident or a series of events that are emotionally disturbing, highly stressful, or life threatening. They fall into three categories: acute, chronic, and complex.
Many adults who go through traumatic experience may have temporary difficulty adjusting and coping. If the symptoms get worse, and interfere with day-to-day functioning, it may result in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Types of traumatic experiences
Although most traumatic experiences include exposure to war, natural disasters, witnessing or experiencing a violent act, the following are the types of traumatic experiences I work with:
- Childhood Trauma – physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect experienced as a child.
- Attachment Trauma – disruption of bonding between a child and caregiver
- Vicarious Trauma – Service providers and first responders who are exposed to trauma
- Intimate Partner Violence – Abuse by a partner to his or her partner
- Sexual Trauma – Unwanted exposure or non-consensual sexual act
- Medical Trauma – Life threatening medical procedures that cause emotional and physical distress
- Divorce – Loss of a significant relationship
- Unexpected and Sudden Death of Loved One
- Loss of Job – Yes, this too can be traumatic given the financial impact on individual and family
What is PTSD
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a trauma and stress related disorder that can develop after exposure to traumatic experience. Symptoms may be mild to chronic and include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event, sleep issues, and avoidance of reminders of the event.
Treatment for Trauma & PTSD
The good news, there’s help if you have been struggling with trauma and PTSD. Eye Movement and Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Hypnotherapy are powerful treatments to access the source of distress and effectively treat the symptoms and underlying source of PTSD.
Signs of unhealed Trauma and PTSD
Learn more about signs of unhealed trauma here.
If you are struggling with the symptoms from trauma and PTSD, there is hope. Take the first step to healing by submitting a request for a new client appointment.Get Started